A Crossville fire was reported Tuesday morning at the Charleston Plantation Apartments.
The fire department received the call 11:30 a.m. to douse the fire out. Smoke was receding from one of the eaves upon arrival.
Fire Chief Mike Turner said the probable cause was from lightning strike, but no injuries were reported.
“It all went as well as could be expected and no one was hurt. Firefighters did a great job and we’re just thankful that it all turned out like it did. It could have been worse,” Turner said.
Turner said it was possible the lightning hit earlier that morning and burned slowly.
“It caught one of the roof joists on fire and it wasn’t getting a whole lot of oxygen, but it was getting enough to burn slowly and smolder and of course the firefighters got to it quick enough to put it out,” Turner said. “The tenants in that one apartment are displaced but we confined the fire to one apartment.”
The estimated damage was $5,000, Turner said.