Wednesday, February 1, 2023
Happening Now

Tag Archives: Fire

Fire On Chester King Road Results In Loss Of Detached Garage

A structure fire on Chester King Road in Putnam County has resulted in the total loss of a detached garage. Chief Tom Brown said his department was dispatched around 2:45 this morning to respond to the call. “The roof had already collapsed,” Brown said. “We basically just extinguished the fire from there, there wasn’t much we could do with it. ... Read More »

Baxter FD Helps Mitigate Major Fuel Spill On Fast Lane

An estimated 40 to 50 gallons of diesel fuel were spilled from a semi-truck’s punctured fuel tank in Baxter Sunday morning. Baxter Fire Chief Matthew White said that a driver went to the Love’s on Fast Lane to refuel and discovered the issue. White said that his team was called in and was able to do a temporary patch until ... Read More »

Putnam FD Responds To Large Bennett Road House Fire

Putnam County Fire Department was on the scene of a house fire for nine hours Tuesday morning. Chief Tom Brown said that responders were called to a 4,700 square foot home on Bennett Road around 1:45 a.m. He said that the first responding unit reported fire through the roof of the house. “It was rapidly discovered that the attic was ... Read More »

Monterey Business Damaged In Accidental Commercial Fire

A Wednesday afternoon commercial fire caused extensive damage to a Monterey pole barn building company at Clarkrange Highway. Putnam County Fire Chief Tom Brown said the department estimates Troyer Post Buildings suffered some $100,000 in damage. “They had a large warehouse with an office attached to that warehouse,” Brown said. “The office is where the fire originated. When we arrived ... Read More »

Crawdaddy’s Restaurant Open For Business One Year Later After Fire

Crawdaddy’s Restaurant, a staple of Cookeville’s Historic West Side, reopened today after one full year since fire closed the location. Co-Owner Drew Blalock said there were tears, anticipation and nervousness leading up to this day, but now the restaurant is ready. “I won’t say there is one big challenge. There was a lot of little challenges. They add up, but ... Read More »

Thawing Turkey Most Important Step When Frying

Putnam County Fire Chief Tom Brown said making sure your turkey is thawed is the number one tip when attempting to fry your turkey this Thanksgiving. “The biggest danger is the turkey is not thawed,” Brown said. “If it’s still frozen or partially frozen, it’s going to cause a violent reaction when it hits the hot grease and boil over ... Read More »

Smoke From Derryberry Hall Related To Roof Construction

Smoke seen on Tennessee Tech’s campus near Derryberry Hall Saturday related to construction on the building’s roof. In a press release from the university, it stated “Work to remove the upper portion of the building’s cupola generated heavy smoke and hot embers as a crew cut portions of the tower free.” Cookeville Fire Department Lieutenant Charles McFalls said that those ... Read More »

Take Fast Action When You Hear Your Smoke Detector

This year’s Fire Prevention Week theme is to learn the sounds of fire safety and the meaning behind what you’re hearing. East 52 Volunteer Fire Department Chief James King said smoke and carbon monoxide detectors will tell you two things: It’s time to change the batteries or to get out of the house immediately. King said the last thing you ... Read More »

Tech Safety Coordinators Work To Ensure Preparedness In Event Of Fires

Tennessee Tech Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator Brent Carter said the university does everything it can to be prepared for fires. September is Campus Fire Safety Month. Carter said that he would like to see students treat minor events with as much care as they would major events. “I think at times you know whether a fire drill goes off ... Read More »

Putnam FD Responds To Southfork Road Barn Fire

The Putnam County Fire Department responded to an accidental barn fire around 12:28 p.m. Tuesday near Southfork Road in Baxter. Chief Tom Brown said the barn was being demolished and had a small fire next to it that led to the barn itself catching fire. Brown said that although there was a small grass fire around the area, there was ... Read More »